Oral multiparticulate technologies such as beads, pellets, granules or mini-tablets offer enormous flexibility in their drug release profiles. They are valuable for delivering both single APIs and combinations of multiple drugs, and can be formulated to provide immediate-release dosages or modified options such as extended, delayed or pulsed.
There are a number of advantages to the multiparticulate approach.
- It is less susceptible to dose dumping.
- It is not affected by food intake to as great an extent as monolithic dosage forms.
- It offers minimal inter-subject and intra-subject variability.
- It reduces the risk of local irritation to the gastrointestinal tract.
- It allows separate release of multiple ingredients throughout the gastrointestinal tract in a single dose.
- It enables the dose strength to be varied without changing the formulation or the process.
The multiparticulate technologies we offer at Quay Pharma include:
- Pelletisation through extrusion spheronisation.
- API layering on to nonpareils.
- MIni-tablets, with or without encapsulation.
- Microencapsulation through spray drying.